At T&G Builders, we work to build relationships with all of our residential and commercial customers. We encourage all our potential and current customers to contact us with any questions they have about the remodeling or construction process. If you don’t see the answer to your question below, we look forward to talking with you about how we can meet your needs!
What are current construction costs?
Here are some determining factors:
- What are your hook up and permit fees?
- What is the size of the home?
- How complex is the home design?
- What are the site conditions (cleared, wooded, level, sloped)?
- What are the interior and exterior specifications?
- What materials are to be used?
What do I need to start the building process?
When dealing with T&G Builders, you only need a rough idea of what type of home you want to build and time set aside to devote to starting the process. Once we start bidding, we may need a survey of your lot. If you do not currently own a lot, we have a licensed real estate agent that can help you locate the right property to improve or lot to build on.
What type of warranty does T&G offer?
We offer a standard 1-year builders warranty with all associated manufacturers and supplier warranties as well. A 10 year RWC extended warranty is available as an option. This information is available upon request or online at www.RWC.com. Out of all home projects we have completed over 20 years, we have had less than 1% of clients elect to purchase an extended warranty, unless required by lenders, after viewing the quality construction of their home.
How do I obtain plans?
You have a few different options when obtaining plans:
- Hiring a draftsman or architect to design your home in compliance with all local, county and township requirements.
- Purchase plans from a book on online as a starting point for bid only. This is due to changes which could be needed after permit review and during construction.
- Work with a design/build firm like T&G Builders that can help you design your home and construct the very design that they helped to create. T&G provides this service to all of our clients to ensure their satisfaction with the finished product.
What is your draw schedule?
We have two standard draw schedules based on the amount of construction. The draws are either:
- 8 payments for a home under $500,000.00
- 13 payments for over $500,000.00
- Adjusted per lender and T&G agreement
A 4% deposit of final contract price is due at signing. The draw schedule is based on the balance of contract minus deposit. The next draw is due upon work being in place an inspected.
What are your standard specifications?
We are a custom design/build firm. If you do not provide any specifications to use, we will revert to our rigorous and high standards.
Will my plan fit on a lot?
Believe it or not, many homeowners have proposed design and plan ideas that would not fit on the lot that they purchased. We highly recommend determining the building envelope of preferred location and confirm your concept will fit and meet any and all approvals necessary.
What are change orders? How do they work during construction?
Change orders are a request for a change to the original plans and specifications, whether they are structural or material in nature, after signing the contract. Fee for change orders can be no charge, a charge, a charge for the cost of the change, or a credit for work not completed.
T&G Builders never charges more for a change order than it would if you had originally included the change in the original contract. We use allowances for your selections, which is a major benefit to all of our homeowners. If you go over the allowed amount, you pay the vendor directly. If you are under the allowed amount, you will receive a credit back. There is never an administration fee charged for change orders, but they must be accepted or declined in a timely manner. If you do not make a decision prior to the change order deadline, we will use the original selection.
How long does it take to build a home?
We cannot answer that question until we know local restrictions on working hours, the size of the home, and the location of the home, in addition to the detail of work and availability of materials and labor. It’s also important to remember that the weather is very unpredictable. Included in the contract is the estimated amount of working days for the project excluding delays.
What are some unique qualities of your company?
- T&G is one of the few remaining builders that use conventional framing.
- We build our homes on solid block walls over a continuous footer.
- T&G has an in-house design team to help design your home from ground up.
- Locally owned and operated.
- We offer in house selection assistance.
- Provide full electrical drawing for owner preferred switch, outlet and light fixture locations.
What is expected of the owner during construction?
It is of the utmost importance that the owner makes all required selections in a timely manner during construction to keep the job moving. The owner is expected to pay the draw requests when called for and any change order monies due at that time.
Partner with T&G Builders
T&G Builders is known for upholding the highest quality standards for all of our renovation, remodeling, and custom home construction projects. From kitchen renovations to home teardowns and rebuilds, we have the expertise and communication skills to make your dreams a reality. We work with homeowners and business owners throughout Coastal Delmarva. To learn more about how we can help transform your home, contact us today.