Winter will be here before you know it, so that means it’s the perfect time to make sure that your beach home is prepared to make it through the winter free of damage. You will most likely not be visiting this home very much during the colder seasons, so you will have to take steps to make sure that your home can make it through various conditions even when you can’t be there. By completing a thorough systems check, undergoing careful inspections, and readying your outdoor space, you can efficiently and effectively winterize your beach home.
Do a Systems Check
This check includes inspecting the essential systems of your beach home: the heating, air conditioning, and plumbing. We always recommend hiring a licensed plumber to winterize your pipes appropriately.
- Set your thermostat to 80 until you hear the furnace kick on and can feel warm air from the vents. If you find any issues, call a technician to fix the problem.
- Clear debris from the outdoor condensing unit of your AC system. Cover the unit with a waterproof breathable fabric to preserve the unit and prolong its effectiveness.
- Insulate exposed piping in crawl spaces, attics, and outside walls. Shut off the water supply and open up all faucets to drain the remaining water from each. You want to do all you can to avoid leaks, as the damage can be significant.
Inspect, Repair, and Prepare
As you winterize your beach home, there are a few places you should inspect for damages before leaving for the winter.
- Make sure the chimney is free of any nests. Check the flue damper to ensure that it opens, closes, and locks properly. If you haven’t had the fireplace cleaned recently, hire someone to clean it for you.
- Check your windows and doors to see how much air may be “leaking.” Add weather-stripping where needed to keep cold air from entering your home.
- Remove leaves, dirt, and debris from gutters. Wet leaves can add weight to the gutters and cause significant damage, especially when frozen.
- Check the roof for potential weak spots or leaks.
Ready Your Outdoor Spaces
As you winterize your beach home, you should not skip the crucial step of readying your outdoors.
- Reseal your deck if needed
- Clean and cover the grill.
- Protect or cover outdoor furniture
- Cover or bring inside any plants that need protection against frost or freezing temperatures
- Drain any fountains or water features
Keep Your Home Safe
There are a few additional steps you can take to keep your beach home safe, especially if you plan to leave it alone for a few months.
- Have someone you trust check on your home periodically.
- Prevent pests by cleaning your home, emptying refrigerators and freezers, and removing all trash. Make sure the chimney flue is closed, along with any other openings into your house.
- Set the thermostat to a temperature that will keep the pipes warm enough to prevent freezing. We recommend homeowners keep the thermostat at 55 degrees when away from the home for extended periods.
- Make sure someone in your beach home’s neighborhood has your contact information in case of an emergency or unexpected situation. Inspect your home smoke detectors and replace batteries if needed, and check all window and door locks.
These steps can easily help you winterize your beach home and ensure that your warm-weather property remains undamaged.
Build Your Dream Home With T&G Builders
T&G Builders, located in Berlin, MD, has been a premier waterfront custom home builder and home improvement contractor serving Worcester and Sussex Counties for over 25 years. We are a locally owned and operated business known for our uncompromising commitment to quality, our passion for using innovative technology and premium materials to complete projects, and our exceptional attention to detail. In addition to building custom homes, we also specialize in remodeling your current house into your dream home! Our skilled team can assess your needs, determine the right design for your addition or improvement, and complete the entire construction process.