With the start of the new year comes resolutions to finally start those projects you’ve been putting off for months or even years. One of the most significant projects you can undertake is planning your family’s new custom home. This is a considerable undertaking, but always worth it as it guarantees that you and your family will have a place made specifically for your comfort. There are plenty of reasons to build a custom home in 2020; read on to learn how doing so is a worthy investment and what you can expect during this process.
Why Should You Build a Custom Home in 2020?
Compared to semi-custom homes, or the process of purchasing a pre-existing home, building a custom home is more time- and labor-extensive. So why should you do it? There are a few key reasons to build a custom home, including:
- Complete home personalization
- Reduced home and appliance maintenance for years
- Superior home craftsmanship
- Total convenience for your needs
What to Expect When You Build a Custom Home
It could take you nine months or more to build a custom home in 2020, which is why it is better to start your planning at the start of the year. You can expect to take the following steps during your custom home building process:
- Securing financing: shop around until you find a lender right for you
- Buying a plot of land, if applicable: work with a land planner or your builder to find the property right for your home
- Hiring a custom home builder: look at portfolios, check licensure, and read references before choosing your builder
- Finalize plans: it is normal to go through several drafts; don’t be afraid to make changes before construction starts!
- Construction: once your plans are finalized, construction should run smoothly
Know Your Custom Home Building Goals
Before you begin any plans to build a custom home in 2020, you should make a list of what you want in your future home. Consider what is most important to you: a fireplace? Laundry chutes? A game room? It is useful to make two lists for must-haves and nice-to-haves so that you can prioritize the must-haves in planning.
You should also know your personal goals. Will you expand your family? Do you plan on moving in the future? Do you need to accommodate pets? Know the answers to questions like these before you plan your custom home so that you can design the perfect long-lasting property.
Build Your Dream Home With T&G Builders
T&G Builders, located in Berlin, MD, has been a premier waterfront custom home builder and home improvement contractor serving Worcester and Sussex Counties for over 25 years. We are a locally owned and operated business known for our uncompromising commitment to quality, our passion for using innovative technology and premium materials to complete projects, and our exceptional attention to detail. In addition to building custom homes, we also specialize in remodeling your current house into your dream home! Our skilled team can assess your needs, determine the right design for your addition or improvement, and complete the entire construction process.