Your kitchen countertops are a critical part of your kitchen design. They have to be functional enough to handle spills, crumbs, heat, cold, and much more. While serving many functions, you also want your counters to remain beautiful and eye-catching. If you are dissatisfied with your current kitchen countertops, you aren’t enjoying your kitchen as much as you could. But how can you make sure that you find your ideal kitchen countertops? Consider the following factors when selecting your new functional and stylish counters.
Consider Countertop Durability
Before you select your ideal kitchen countertops, you should consider how you use your kitchen. Does the space double as a homework or crafts station? Or do you rarely use your kitchen? The answers to these questions will help you determine how durable your countertops need to be. If your kitchen is used frequently, you will want to rule out more sensitive materials. The durability of the most common kitchen countertop materials varies:
- Granite: can be vulnerable to scratches, cracks, or staining and requires sealing every few years to maintain its appearance
- Quartz: is harder than granite and even more invulnerable. It isn’t porous, so you can keep your counter bacteria-free without sealing; however, excessive heat can damage quartz.
- Solid Surface Corian: any scratches or blemishes can be easily buffed out, and the nonporous surface makes it resistant to mold and mildew
- Marble: when sealed, marble can be protected and last longer; the material is also heat resistant, but you should use a potholder so you don’t discolor the surface.
Think About Maintenance
Every countertop material comes with its own maintenance requirements, some more than others. Make sure you know how much you want to commit to countertop maintenance before selecting your material. If you’re concerned about countertop maintenance, consider the following:
- Granite: a simple water solution can be used, but you must avoid any acidic cleaners that can damage the surface; for best results, sealing is recommended
- Quartz: quartz counters are generally low maintenance, don’t need to be sealed, and can often be cleaned with water and a simple cleaning solution.
- Solid Surface Corian: these counters can be cleaned easily with soapy water or an ammonia-based solution; make sure to clean up spills right away and dry the counter thoroughly
- Marble: the softer nature of marble and its porous surface means it is vulnerable to stains and scratches; sealing is recommended, and you should be careful when cooking.
Remember Your Budget
Naturally, your budget plays a significant role in determining your new kitchen countertops. Before selecting your countertop materials, consider how important your budget is or whether it can stretch a little. If you go with a more affordable material, you can also explore styles that mimic other countertops’ appearance. The prices vary for each of the most popular kitchen countertops:
- Granite: depending on the size and quality, granite materials can cost anywhere from $15-$140 per square foot.
- Quartz: engineered stone quartz can cost $15 to $70 per square foot for the material
- Solid Surface Corian: Corian countertops can cost about $20 to $75 per square foot for the countertops
- Marble: marbles countertop materials typically run from $15 to $190 per square foot, with an installation costing $3,000 on average.
What’s Your Style?
Do you want a kitchen that is elegant or funky? Trendy or classic? Will the counters match your current color scheme? All of these factors and more should be considered when you are selecting new counters. This can help guide your decision process. For instance, if you want a luxurious upscale design, you should consider marble countertops rather than laminate.
For more guidance, you can discuss your kitchen counter goals and plans with an experienced custom home designer at T&G Builders.
Build Your Dream Home With T&G Builders
T&G Builders, located in Berlin, MD, has been a premier waterfront custom home builder and home improvement contractor serving Worcester and Sussex Counties for over 25 years. We are a locally owned and operated business known for our uncompromising commitment to quality, our passion for using innovative technology and premium materials to complete projects, and our exceptional attention to detail. In addition to building custom homes, we also specialize in remodeling your current house into your dream home! Our skilled team can assess your needs, determine the right design for your addition or improvement, and complete the entire construction process.